Saturday, June 24, 2006

The First Post

For years, I have imagined keeping up a regular correspondence with the people I care about. I have even kept an optimistic cache of notepaper in my roll-top desk, to be used on that oft-imagined day when I find time to write. In more recent years, I have thought that an annual Christmas letter would be a more reasonable way of keeping in touch. (Don't look feverishly through your stack of mail for last year's letter - you didn't get one.) I am somewhat better at emailing people, as emailing is an activity one can participate in even with small children hanging off one's body... But the grim truth is (as most of you know) that I am NOT good at communicating individually and fully with all of the people in my life.

This blog is my attempt to remedy that situation.

The reason I'm feeling compelled to improve my communication is that I find myself, at age 37, settled in a breathtaking corner of the world and working on a project we could not possibly have undertaken without the help of many of YOU. I want to be able to share my gratitude, my vision for this place, my small triumphs, and a few of my challenges, with the people who helped put me here.

We will be sharing the unfolding story of Old Man Farm, our family life, our efforts toward sustainability, and our involvement in community development. We will also be posting some pictures... and trying to entice some of you to come and visit!

For now, here's a picture of Old Man Farm. More to come!

10 comments:

Colin said...

Congratulations on your new space. You've got a great story to tell and I'm keen to see it unfold.

Colin

Anonymous said...

Greetings what a great idea please tell some of us if we need do anything other than read and respond. I love the picture you put on of your farm. This will also allow many of us to be in touch. Peace Joanne

Kate said...

Hey, joanne - Reading and responding is great, if you have the time! You could also pass the word on to other family, as I'm not sure I have everyone's email addresses correctly. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The link to Colinsky is wrong, you have

http://colinsky.blogspot.com/bin/answer.py?answer=110

but it should be

http://colinsky.blogspot.com/

Anyway, the farm looks nice.

-- Richard Akerman

Kate said...

Richard! Good to see you. Thanks for the note on the faulty link - I've fixed it now. Are you avoiding the reunion as studiously as I am??

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. We have always wanted to keep up with you and now we've found a way.

Thank you, thank you for your wonderful writing and for the blog itself.

Susie and (cousin) Peter

Kate said...

Susie and Peter! What a nice surprise! Glad to see you here, and thanks for reading.

Love, Kate

Anonymous said...

"Are you avoiding the reunion as studiously as I am?"

Wow, 20 years and you still know me well.

Most definitely.

-- Richard Akerman

Kate said...

Hehehe... perhaps we ought to organize a Para-Reunion - for artists, outlaws, freaks, free spirits, and other non-conformists...

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
Wow, I'm envious! When did you start Old Man Farm and how did you end up in Cape Breton? Wonderful site! Thank you for sharing:)
Toni