Monday, August 07, 2006

















The Little Things

I wanted to find a beautiful picture of a jellyfish for today's blog entry, but there aren't too many of those on Old Man Farm (unless you count ME at the end of a long, long day). I chose another of the Farmer's stunning photos instead, hoping it will convey something about the beauty, the fragility, and the value of seemingly lowly creatures.

I've been thinking about jellyfish since last Friday, when the Farmer and I took our three children to an "end of swimming lessons" beach party down the shore. The Island Boat that ferries people over to the public beach was delayed, and soon a boisterous crowd of children and parents was lining the dock. The water sparkled. Newt and the Fireman were on their bellies, peering over the edge at a small school of fish. I looked around for Farmer-in-Training, and spied him trudging towards me, a dark look on his face. He planted himself in front of me.

"Mom," he said, "they're killing the jellyfish."

"Who is?" I asked.

"Those guys."

One of my son's good friends, and another boy of about the same age, were down at the end of the dock, trying to drop huge rocks on the jellyfish floating by.

"Kill him!"

"Gotcha, sucker!"

One rock connected with its target, smashing the jelly's surface and plunging it to the bottom. My stomach heaved. I looked around for the parents. Were they noticing this?

The parents - a teacher, and a teacher-in-training, were not close by, so I stepped in to talk with the boys. "It takes a village," and all that.

"What're you doing to the jellyfish?" I asked, trying to keep my voice neutral.

"Killing them!" came the excited response.

"Why would you do that?" I asked.

"They sting, and they're stupid."

"But they can't sting you now - they can't jump up on the dock and sting you. Don't you think they have a right to live, just as much as you do?"

Apparently, the boys did NOT think so. After slinking away from me, they found fresh jelly targets at the opposite end of the wharf.

This time, the Farmer tried using a bit of humour and empathy-creation. "Okay, boys - why don't you two jump into the water, and we'll throw rocks at you and see how you like being a jellyfish."

By this point, everyone on the wharf has to have noticed the conversations we were trying to have with the two young boys. Not one other parent intervened. Some, in fact, rolled their eyes.

Now, I know those jellyfish weren't quaking in fear. I realize that they are literally brainless and that, as far as we can tell, they can't feel any pain. That's not the point. The point is that jellies are living beings with a role to play in the larger ecosystem. They are part of a complex food chain. And they're another unique and beautiful manifestation of creation. Their lives are worthy of respect.

Of course, it's true that we humans kill our fellow creatures under a variety of circumstances. Here on the farm, we take the lives of the animals we eat, for example, and we do so mournfully and with thanks to that animal for its gift to us. We may also, reluctantly, take the life of a creature that is threatening our livelihood, if there's no other way to deal with the problem. But we never, ever take a life "for fun".

What those little boys were being allowed to do on the wharf the other day was reinforcing the time-honored (and disastrous) notion of man having dominion over the rest of creation. And that experience will translate into increased distance between those children and the natural world. Perhaps you think I'm over-reacting? The same boys, after arriving on the Island, set out to hunt down a harmless garter snake in order to "chuck it down the outhouse hole."

Next time, I'm not lecturing the children. Next time, it's their parents who will get an earful.

11 comments:

Colin said...

Hey Kate,

I applaud you for wading in. I predict more success with the kids than their parents.

Anonymous said...

You not only set an excellent example for your own children, but also for those other kids on the dock. Good for you.

S Brooks said...

This is beautiful. Stick to your guns!

Susie

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
this is my first visit to your site and i like it! the photos are beautiful too.

i have also been thinking about jellies because i recently read that they are exploding in numbers all over the oceans, because of nutrification and loss of predators. just funny that these lowly but magical-looking creatures were on both of our minds. and i'm so glad that my nephew was disturbed by what the other boys were doing. i can't wait to introduce a new cousin to the farm!
love shelley

Anonymous said...

Goodness I miss you guys!

I think you're right... I've never understood the idea of killing something when it's not bothering you; and the fact that parents will turn a blind eye like that is deplorable.

The sad thing is that instead of thinking of all creatures as worthy, people usually categorize them. for example, hurting a cat or dog is wrong (because we love them) and hurting a jelly-fish or an insect is ok... because we categorize them as gross.

In the years that I've known you, both you and Brooke (especially Brooke, with his love of showing me things that I am afraid of :)) have taught me to see the beauty in all things... well all things with the exception of earwigs!

Anonymous said...

Agreed...do no harm! However, your slaughtering of animals is the same thing as killing jellyfish since it is entirely unnecessary. Humans can survive and thrive on nutrition from plants. And do you wear/use leather, fur, down, etc?

Can any of us judge others? Are any of us entirely innocent of needlessly murdering other species?

Kate said...

anonymous,
This is a conversation I've had with myself over time. The debate over whether killing creatures for human use is "necessary" is a big one (too big for the comment forum).

I do, however, see a huge difference between taking the life of an animal you've cared for (and taking that life with a good deal of gratitude and sorrow), and killing something only in order to derive pleasure from the act of killing it.

You're right - nobody is innocent, and I do think it's important to try and understand another person's perspective, even when that person is choosing a path you deplore. I think "judging others" is harmful when the act of judging shuts us off from compassion, or closes the door to a broadening of awareness on either side. But judging, in the sense of speaking the truth as you perceive it, need not equal condemnation, and often leads to important social and personal change.

I realize the tone of the "jellyfish" post was pretty angry, and sounded very condemnatory. I was very angry, tired, and frustrated. But the reality was that, on that dock, I spoke kindly and respectfully to the children involved. I maintained a compassionate outlook towards them, as well as towards the critters they were killing. I chose the blog format as a safe place to vent, I guess!

Thanks for sharing your perspective!

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts and I am proud of you for taking a stand. We agree that animals should not be killed for "sport." Though my husband hunts, he is already making sure our son knows that we feel it is only right to use the meat for consumption. Killing animals for the sake of target practice is not right in our eyes.

I'm not surprised the other parents didn't back you up or even that some rolled their eyes. "Boys will be boys" you know. And "mind your own business" and "not MY kid." I used to teach in both public and private school and saw A LOT of that. Too bad- it's the child and the society that later has to deal with him that loses out when there are no limits set and no absolute rights and wrongs. This may have been a small thing, but there are a lot of day to day choices we make. They add up and make an impact over time.

Even though there are fewer and fewer of us who hold to these ideals, we CAN still make a difference- at least we can make people THINK about their own behavior and choices even if we can't change them. That's something.

I'm enjoying your blog. We have one too. www.blessedacresfarm.com

I have bookmarked you and will be back again soon.

Laura (ChickenMama)

Kate said...

Thanks, Laura - for the moral support, and for the blog link. I'll check it out!

eric said...

hey great post. where is old man farm? im in the slocan valley near nelson bc.
peace, eric

eric said...

hey great post. where is old man farm. i am in the slocanvalley near nelson bc.
peace. eric