Monday, December 18, 2006

New Growth in the Heart of Winter



















When I started this blog last summer, I was longing for many things - connection, a creative outlet, a place to share the story of our work here at Old Man Farm. I imagined that blogging would bring me closer to friends and family, encourage other people striving to live more lightly on the earth, and give me time to reflect on our experiences.

What I did not anticipate is that the nature of our "work" would require me to transcend mere chronicling of events - would in fact lead me to share intimately about my own development and that of my family. For farming is not just about tilling the soil and tending the plants - it is ultimately about the
the growth of the farmers, their journey into rootedness, their own cycles of dieback and new life, the regeneration of the human spirit.

If anyone is still visiting this poor, neglected site, you'll have noticed a rather long hiatus. For a while, we needed to focus all of our efforts on the challenges at hand, and I didn't have much extra energy for reflection. But a small, pestering voice has continued to remind me that writing fully about our experiences is the best course - both in terms of helping me reflect on our journey, and in terms of faithfully sharing that journey with others at a time in human history when having discussions about sustainability is crucial.

My New Year's resolution is to re-commit to this space, to this work: to chronicling the fragile, messy, glorious, riotous, painful, ecstatic experiment in sustainability that is Old Man Farm.

7 comments:

Bryan Moyer Suderman said...

I am SO glad to see you are posting again. We share your conviction that what you are doing is important, have been wondering how you're doing, and are grateful for the chance to keep abreast of some of the happenings and learnings at Old Man Farm...

You would have to go on a longer hiatus to lose this avid reader!

Wishing you much peace and joy and challenge and strength and community and love and patience and humour and good growth... this Christmas and in the New Year!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're still at it! You and your family are an inspiration to me and mine:)
Just wanted to let you know; we admire what you are doing and being a mom myself, I know it's never easy (especially around Christmas)to keep up with all the demands. Best of luck to you.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. May 2007 be your best year yet on the farm.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that you are back! I admire what you and your family are doing.

Have a great holiday and a great 2007!

Teri said...

I'm glad you're back too! The pictures have always been lovely. Don't get discouraged if you can't post very often. We all understand that life can get hectic.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you're back, too, I was beginning to worry about you!

I love your blog! As others have said, I applaud you and your family for walking your talk and staying true to your ideals. Through sharing with us your experiences, thoughts, and photos, it allows the rest of us who aren't in a position yet to be self-sustainable on the land, to somewhat live vicariously through you and have hope that yes, it can be done!

Looking forward to reading more in 2007!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to learn more about your farm. Do you take volunteers? This summer I'm planning to volunteer with people in the province doing work that interests me. Cheers, Scott. E-mail me at 066156h at acadiau.ca

Kate said...

Thanks for the support, everyone. You can expect a new post in the next couple of days.